Western diplomatic sources said on Saturday that the recent incidents in the northern city of Tripoli are the “beginning of a Salafist revolution aimed at providing the Free Syrian Army in Homs with ammunition.”
The sources told As Safir newspaper that the “Salafist revolution will begin in Tripoli and gradually expand to Akkar.”
The diplomatic sources said that the incidents in Tripoli are considered a “slap in the face” to Prime Minister Najib Miqati by the March 14-led opposition as the March 8 forces failed to safeguard Lebanon from the repercussions of the Syrian unrest on the country.
More than 12,000 people have been killed in Syria since the revolt broke out in March last year against Syrian President Bashar Assad, most of them civilians.
The sources wondered how the Lebanese authorities ignored the “increasing Salafist” threat in the country.
The clashes in Tripoli erupted on Saturday after the General Security Department detained Islamist Shadi al-Mawlawi on charges of belonging to a terrorist group.
The city witnessed sporadic gunfire amid a fragile ceasefire.