Last fall, Noghaideli, Prime Minister of Georgia in 2005 – 2007 years and now leader of the opposition movement “For Fair Georgia, the first of Georgian politicians went to the Russian capital, adding that without such contacts will not be able to solve the problems of his country. Recently the 45-year-old Nogaideli for the eighth time in recent months has visited Moscow and then told the Vremya news, what he seen the prospects of relations between Russia and Georgia and that he was preparing opposition to the Georgian authorities in the autumn.
– Georgia always felt the support of European countries, the United States. But our country is in a serious extent, isolated from the outside world, which is not limited to the West. Relations between Russia and Georgia are very important. And during all the visits we make it clear that no one else will solve our problems for us. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, too, was stressed. Saakashvili could say that someone is coming to support him, but it’s not, it is support throughout Georgia. Finally, there is softly diplomacy behind closed doors. Public comments are not made, but it was so quiet friendship, warned Georgia of the fact that she can go back to a real dictatorship. By the way, the merit of such diplomacy is that personally I am still alive and not arrested.
– When you first of Georgian politicians dared to make contacts with Russia, the Georgian authorities to condemn you. A few days ago he Mikhail Saakashvili said he was ready for dialogue with Russia.
– Waged against us a well-coordinated campaign, we are called “rogue states”, “enemies” and “traitors”, but not knocked out of the rut. Now let him apologize, including Saakashvili, who is willing to talk with Russia without preconditions and ultimatums. He had been sent emissaries to Moscow. Let’s see what comes of his statements. For us it is important to the process of establishing a possible relationship was an open and transparent. We must understand the purpose of Saakashvili. As he pursues this: to retain power after 2013, when its powers expire, or acting for the interests of Georgia? The other side of the coin is, how can a real dialogue with Moscow under Saakashvili, but this I will not speak so as not to hinder the process.
– This month, you again spoke to Prime Minister Vladimir Putin, and even earlier signed a cooperation agreement with United Russia.
– I cherish the relationship with the “United Russia”, and we will continue to actively develop them. The next contact is possible as early as this month. We agreed a few weeks to postpone discussion of two issues: the resumption of regular air and on the return to the Russian market of Georgian products. Let’s see what will do on these fronts Saakashvili. As our meeting with the prime minister of Russia, Vladimir Putin, after it made an important statement. First, the fact that someone happened in South Ossetia and Abkhazia – the “occupation”, but for someone – the “liberation”. This means that if the Georgian authorities dare to some adventure, going out there to stick his nose, then it will break. This can be no doubt. If Saakashvili two years ago in this doubt, now, I think, and he has doubts on this point anymore.
It is very important and the other part of the statement Prime Minister of Russia: the Georgians themselves to establish relations with the Ossetians, the same applies to the Abkhazians. I talked about this before, this is the only formula: bring people back, and we must return to their hearts. We must heal the wounds. Or will not resolve conflicts, not one of Georgia will not. Now everything depends on us. We must engage in dialogue with Sukhumi and Tskhinvali, Sergei Bagapsh and Eduard Kokoity (presidents of Abkhazia and South Ossetia. – Ed.), since they now represent the Abkhazians and Ossetians. After all, on this occasion, U.S. Secretary of Tbilisi and the Prime Minister of Russia in Moscow, said virtually the same. But if we want our leader was Saakashvili, then Georgia will never unite. Time inevitably works against us. After a few years we will have no chance of reconciliation. Since August 2008 to conduct a dialogue is not easy, but necessary. The question requires some sacrifice.
– Despite the gap Georgia two years ago, diplomatic relations with Russia, Russian economic interests in Georgia, there are weighty. They say that Russia can buy a natural gas pipeline linking it to Armenia via Georgia. But sell the pipe were thinking five years ago when you were in government?
– We receive over 10% of incoming transit to Armenia of Russian gas. Then the tube was in such condition that we have lost not only those levels – operating costs were higher. This led either to subsidize or to raise tariffs. So we had to find the money to rehabilitate the pipeline or to consider its privatization. We found through the American program “Millennium Challenge Account. After that there was no point in selling the gas pipeline, it was better to keep it in state ownership. With regard to the current situation, one must know the motivation of the possible privatization of the pipeline: What will Georgia, why the issue arose again? We once hid nothing. Going to sell? Yes, going. Change your mind – so change your mind, everything was clear to the public.
– Gazprom claimed?
– Probably, Gazprom would be the only viable buyer. Maybe others would buy – not a bad project.
– Business interests of Russia in Georgia – this is good or bad for the country’s security, do you think?
– I think it is absolutely not dangerous – on the contrary, with Russia to be restored and political relations. Above all, everything to be transparent.
– Recently you met overseas with another prominent opposition member and now a political emigrant – ex-Minister of Interior, Defence and Economic Development , Irakli Okruashvili. You can wait for revitalization of the Georgian opposition?
– The unity of the opposition need to address the problems of Georgia and overcome such obstacles as Saakashvili. I am attaching to this effort. In the summer we have time to talk, better to prepare, then to act.