[We should expect to see a series of joint operations with Iran, in order to clear the path for the new “Peace Pipeline.”]
2009 august 30
The hundreds of arrests and harassment of media Baluch who are recording the last few days indicate that Islamabad wants to silence the voices that come together to denounce a military operation in Iran and Pakistan over Balochistan East. Its objectives go beyond the mere annihilation of the Baluch people. This offense could be the first of several to “stabilize” the region facing the IPI gas pipeline (Iran-Pakistan-India).
On 20 August, Richard Holbrooke, Washington’s envoy to Af / Pak, expressed concern about the “disturbing increase in tension in Balochistan.”
But, what situation concerned Holbrooke? Hard to say because the press kept silent until now too suspicious. Moreover, the almost total absence of e-mails from Baluchistan East during the last week did nothing but feed the worst fears of signing this information.
“Tanto como teléfono internet are the controlados by the secret services, the gente está very asustada” I Akhmar Mustikhan alertaba by phone, a periodista baluche residente in Washington [Phone internet controlled as much as by the secret services, the people are very scared “I Akhmar Mustikhan alerted by phone Baloch journalist resident in Washington.–ed.].
So, an email or phone call “inappropriate” may involve the arrest, or even disappearance of this or that partner Baluch. After the painful silence, voices begin to reach by other means, more or less safe.
“I told the military police deployed outside my office I was a journalist not a terrorist ‘°” says a reporter from the Daily Balochistan “which, obviously, prefers to remain anonymous.
“Only we will believe you if you say` Long live Pakistan, ‘”replied the military.
After pronouncing the “magic words,” the journalist was able to get to work on Thursday. But the real siege begin the next day, the interrogation and subsequent arrest of several workers ‘Daily Balochistan’ and ‘Daily Azadi’ at the entrance to their headquarters in Quetta.
A few days earlier, the Baluch also “Daily Asaap” had been the first to close after continual harassment they suffered their workers for weeks by Pakistani security forces.
And they all have very much the state it is Javid Lehri, a journalist for 21 years, after nine months’ imprisonment and torture at a jail in Quetta.And, of course, more than 7,000 missing in the last three years …
Baluch major newspapers are shut down while the rest of the country silent about size attack on freedom of expression.
“We do not know what they have been able to threaten the newspaper’s management, but we are strictly forbidden to publish anything about what is happening,” confessed a journalist from Karachi “DAWN”, the most prestigious newspaper in Pakistan. This colleague ‘anonymous’ added that today it is impossible to access from that country to web pages as http://www.thebaluch.com Baluch, http://www.bso-na.org or http://www.balochwarna.com, among many others. But that’s not important.
In the confusion were added to him the general strike and demonstrations called by the Baluch movement to commemorate the thirtieth anniversary of the death of Nawab Akbar Bugti. On August 26, 2006, the cave where he took refuge charismatic tribal leader Bugti, 79, was bombed by Pakistani aircraft, causing his death and that of his companions. Robert Oakley, the then U.S. ambassador in Islamabad, Bugti described as the “martyr for a just cause,” the wrath of Musharraf.
According to BBC-Urdu, roads Taftan-Quetta and Quetta-Karachi, the main routes in Baluchistan East, were completely blocked on a day which honors Baluch resulted in 10 deaths. Also Wednesday, the guerrillas carried out a mortar attack on Sui airport (the birthplace of the martyr Baluch) and made an attempt on one of the pipelines of the plant Loti.Everyone knew that this was a critical date, and the day ended with three Punjabi killed and three others injured in Quetta’s main avenue, an attempt to vindicate the bluff (United Liberation Front Baluch) the next day.
A member of the BSO (Baluch Student Organization) declared by telephone on Tuesday that dozens of his comrades had been arrested in an unprecedented raid, which would have led many others to go underground. Or what is much the same, to join the guerrillas.
From the headquarters of the BNP (Baluch National Party) stood the escalation of violence in the context of a joint military operation between Iran and Pakistan against the Baluch from the east, reported only by digital media in the diaspora.
According to these sources, such as border towns Kullber Valley, Thump and Mand are being bombarded from both sides of the border by planes and helicopters Iranians and Pakistanis. Only last Saturday have fallen more than 50 ground-ground missiles on the town Persian Baluch of Mashkali. Of course, there are no official figures about the number of victims but talk of thousands of new IDPs in Pakistani territory.
But the most striking aspect of this operation is to be carried out jointly with the Persian army, which had not happened since the days of the Pahlavi. Coincidence or not, Islamabad and Tehran have just given one more step in the IPI gas pipeline (Iran-Pakistan-India), after the House recently approved the final draft of Pakistan on its path: 2,600 km, most of which pass by Baluch land.
The military offensive of recent days could be the first of several in order to “stabilize” the region for the construction of infrastructure only has to cast a shadow to TAPI (Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India), and Washington hopes to begin construction next year.
“This is the ‘war on terror’ in Islamabad,” complained one member of the BNP from Saudi telephone number. “To continue to have to kill before robbing us all,” he said.