[Blind Kuwaiti lawyer sucks-up to Saudi dictatorship, by defending spiritual blindness of Wahhabis, resulting in one-year jail sentence for the accused. Old fart lawyer sues two Kuwaiti Shiite lawyers for criticizing /defaming the extremist ideology of two Wahhabi superstars, the late Sheikh Abdul Aziz Bin Baz (former Saudi grand mufti) and Sheikh Muhammad bin Abdul Wahab (the 18th century source of the aberrant pseudo-religious ideology) and for daring to point-out that Wahhabi “Islam” is the source of most “Islamist” terrorism in the current era. More absolute proof of a Saudi takeover of Kuwait and Bahrain governments should not be needed than this Saudi dominance of the Kuwaiti legal system.]
Kuwaiti lawyer Mufrih Ghareeb Al-Mitairi
Prominent Shiite lawyer files appeal against one-year jail sentence he was given on charges of insulting Sunni Islam.
KUWAIT CITY – A prominent Kuwaiti Shiite lawyer and parliamentary candidate filed an appeal on Tuesday against a one-year jail sentence he was given on charges of insulting Sunni Islam, he said.
Khaled Al-Shatti, who is running for parliament in elections on Saturday, said a court had sentenced him on Monday over statements deemed insulting to Sunnis.
“The sentence was issued with immediate effect. I can be arrested and sent to jail any time now,” Shatti said by phone.
Mansour Haider, the publisher of the news website on which Shatti’s alleged insults appeared and son of a wealthy Shiite businessman, was handed a similar sentence, Shatti said.
Shatti’s comments in March last year allegedly criticised former Saudi religious leader Abdul Aziz bin Baz and Sheikh Mohammad bin Abdul Wahhab, the founder of the strict Wahhabi school of Sunni Islam.
Shatti categorically denied the charges, saying he had previously been cleared of them by Kuwaiti courts on two separate occasions.
“I did not make the statements… the verdict was surprising to me since I am not supposed to be tried again on the same charges after I was cleared twice,” he said.
The statements were attributed to Shatti at the height of sectarian tensions between Shiites and the country’s Sunni majority over a crackdown on Shiite dissent in the neighbouring Gulf state of Bahrain.
RIYADH: Kuwaiti lawyer Mufrih Ghareeb Al-Mitairi has filed a lawsuit at the office of the prosecutor general in Kuwait against two of his compatriots, a businessman and a lawyer, for defaming the late Sheikh Abdul Aziz Bin Baz (the Saudi grand mufti for most of the 1990s) and Sheikh Muhammad bin Abdul Wahab (the 18th century Islamic scholar) linking their Islamic ideologies to terrorism, the local Arabic daily Al-Eqtisadiah reported Thursday.
Al-Mitairi said Abdullah Bin Baz, the son of the late sheikh, has retained him and asked him to file the lawsuit and to see that justice is done.
Speaking to the newspaper by telephone from Kuwait, Al-Mitairi said the lawsuit he filed Tuesday against Kuwaiti lawyer Khaled Al-Shatti and businessman Mahmoud Haidar was accepted and the two would appear before court. He said that Shatti leveled false allegations against Sheikh Bin Baz and Sheikh Abdul Wahab when talking to the Al-Adalah satellite channel on March 22. He said the electronic media owned by Haidar also carried Shatti’s statements.
“Shatti and Haidar not only verbally attacked the two Saudi Sheikhs but also accused their dawa (guidance) method of encouraging terrorism,” Al-Mitairi said.
He said he filed the complaint according to the Kuwaiti law on audio-visual media. He is now asking the court to punish the two defendants for moral and material damages they have done not only to the two Saudi sheikhs but to millions of Muslims who respect and cherish them.
‘We have started extensive moves from the moment Shatti uttered his false accusations against Sheikh Bin Baz and Sheikh Abdul Wahab which were strongly denounced in Kuwait and Saudi Arabia,” he said.
“The case is a an example of the misuse of press freedom,” he said welcoming all Muslim lawyers who would be interested to join him in his attempt to bring these two to justice.
He said he had asked for civil compensation and for public apology from the two defendants not only to the sons and inheritors of Sheikh Bin Baz but to the entire Muslim nation.
Al-Mitairi said Shatti’s false allegations against the two renowned Saudi sheikhs could spread dissension and sedition in Muslim society and ignite sectarian disputes.
He said the campaign by Shatti and Haidar against the two Saudi religious symbols emanated from their anger against the intervention of the Arabian Peninsula Shield Forces in Bahrain under the security cooperation among GCC countries.
According to Al-Mitairi, punishments in such cases are usually fines and imprisonment or both. “It is enough for us if the two defendants were accused for the wrongdoing,” he said. He expected the Kuwaiti government to make laws to protect the Muslim scholars and the religious symbols from attack and public criticism in media.
A number of Kuwaiti writers, columnists and media men have strongly denounced the false allegations against the two Saudi religious symbols and called for bringing the attackers to justice.