Kurds Capture British Commander of “Al-Qaeda In the Levant and Syria”–(update 08/08)

abu musab

Abu Musab–[orig. source–Charles Lister
@Charles_Lister
Analyst & Head of MENA, IHS Jane’s Terrorism & Insurgency Centre (JTIC), London, UK. UK-US dual national. ]

[The only mention of this guy that I can find on the Internet is this, his first YouTube battlefield report.  Whoever is narrating, he is definitely a Brit, NOT an Iraqi, Nor a Syrian, NOT EVEN an Arab.  So much for the “al Qaeda in Iraq,” or the Levant, or “Sham,” or whatever name the CIA dreams-up for these terrorist mercenaries.]

Syrian Observatory: Kurds Capture Jihadist Commander in North Syria

naharnet

إقرأ هذا الخبر بالعربية

W460

Syrian Kurdish fighters in the north fought fierce battles against jihadists and captured a commander of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIS) late Saturday, a monitoring group said.

“Battles pitting fighters from the Kurdish Fighters brigade against ISIS and other groups are raging on in several areas of Tal Abyad in Raqa province, after (Kurdish) fighters captured ISIS’ emir in the town,” said the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

Observatory director Rami Abdel Rahman told Agence France Presse the emir’s nom-de-guerre is Abu Musab, though it was unclear whether he is Syrian or foreign.

The development comes just days after fighters loyal to the Committees for the Protection of the Kurdish People (YPG) expelled al-Nusra Front and ISIS from the strategic Kurdish town of Ras al-Ain in Hasake province.

The clashes in Tal Abyad, which lies on the Syrian border with Turkey, broke out after jihadists ambushed a school that Kurdish fighters in the town were using as a base, said the Britain-based Observatory.

Earlier Saturday, Kurdish fighters in the majority Kurdish province of Hasake expelled jihadists from a checkpoint and seized their ammunition.

Kurdish regions have been run by local Kurdish councils since President Bashar Assad’s forces withdrew from the areas in mid-2012.

Since then, the Kurds have walked a fine line, trying to avoid antagonizing either the regime or the rebels, and focusing on maintaining security while strengthening control over their own affairs.

But this week alone, more than 50 jihadist and Kurdish fighters were killed in fighting in northern Syria, according to a toll released earlier Saturday by the Observatory.

Kurds represent about 15 percent of the Syrian population.

EU Stops Financing Zionist Colonization of Palestinian Jerusalem

Thus slaps EU its first sanction on Israel

TIMES OF OMAN

 

 

Even in its wildest dream Israel never expected such a move from Europe. Therefore, a stunned Israel reacted proportionately to its bewilderment. From Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu down to officials and even media all described the EU decision as “earthquake”, a “brutality”, “a miserable directive” and a move that will “undermine the peace process”. Israeli media called Europe’s decision a move which will lead Israel towards a “crisis.” European Union decided not to bankroll settlements in West Bank and East Jerusalem.
The EU decision is the first sanction imposed on Israel and this has hit Israel hard. The new funding guidelines have precisely expressed EU’s refusal to finance and support Israeli establishments in territories occupied in 1967 and in Golan Heights. Europe hasn’t stopped funding education, research and other projects in Israel but has insisted that Israel must give specific undertaking that European money will never ever be used to finance settlements.

EU explicitly made it clear that it views settlements as illegal — the thing which it has long been saying and Israel persistently ignoring. For decades Europe has been asking Tel Aviv to freeze settlements but watched its advice being flouted with brazen impunity. Today, there are at least 520,000 settlers in West Bank, and East Jerusalem jeopardising peace and killing every possibility of two-state solution.

The Zionists this year have announced to bring in E1 past of Jerusalem under fresh settlement as a punishment for the Palestinians for upgrading their UN membership. Over sixty per cent of Area C in East Jerusalem has already been usurped by the Zionists and to the Palestinians still living in the remaining forty per cent eviction notices have been served.

Frustrations in Europe have been mounting; need to teach the errant a lesson was increasingly becoming necessary. Europe, thus, finally decided to tell the delinquents in Tel Aviv that they cannot get away with their crime and annexation for long. Civilised world would not tank for ever before blackmailing.

For long Israel had been belittling Europe and its relevance in today’s global geopolitics. Its former Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman has, time and again, been more than obnoxious in his behaviour with European diplomats and heads of states giving out impressions that to Israel Europe has become a passé and it can thrive without any “strategic, economic and cultural ties to Europe.” Lieberman and Israel’s present leadership have been wrong to believe that it can “build strategic depth via Russia and China.”

Carlo Strenger, an existential psychoanalyst and philosopher, says that such a belief was a sheer stupidity. Lieberman failed miserably in his attempts to get support from China and Russia when it mattered. China is at best interested in Israel’s technological and entrepreneurial know-how, and Russia is making clear at every juncture that its interest in playing a central role in the Middle East will in no way be impeded by Israel’s needs — for example by selling advanced missiles to Syria that can reach Hezbollah.

EU’s stand on settlement may breach the barriers and its decision not to finance Israel’s crimes may encourage others to follow the suit. But, more than that the decision shows how peeved Europe has been with Israel. For the past few years and most so during its offensives against Gaza in November 2012 Israel, with impunity, had been destroying infrastructural facilities set up in Gaza. Most of these facilities were EU funded. Angry Europe is in no mood to take any nonsense from Israel.

The condescension and arrogance with which Bibi responded has surprised few. Over the years he has perfected this art to browbeat global dissension. But who cares now. Not at least Europe. The continent has shown Israel its place in the world. In an emerging global order Israel is now gradually getting isolated. The world is indeed becoming impatient with Israel.

In January 6, 2011, EU Foreign Policy Chief Catherine Ashton made V sign for victory with a chicken leg, standing next to former Palestinian prime minister Salam Fayyad. This angered the Zionists who construed the gesture as an exhibition of overt anti-Semitism, a chutzpah. What the Zionist entity in Middle East failed to understand was the degree to which the world, Europe in Particular, was becoming irritated with Israel.

Neither Bibi’s hubris nor his government’s pomposity will make EU fold or rescind its decision. Stuart Eizenstat, former deputy secretary of the US Treasury, a senior advisor to president Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton’s ambassador to the European Union, has a month ago made Israel aware of its status in the world. Eizenstat warned that if Israel would not change its settlement policies it may be facing more economic sanctions.

“The EU’s new guidelines forbidding financing or supporting Israeli Institutions in the West Bank (has) send the right message” and proves Eizenstat right. Europe has not delegitimised Israel but has made it clear it will not tolerate colonisation of Palestinian land.

The move is not an attempt to impose any external edict on Israel neither a bid to reshape its map. Europe simply seeks to tell the Zionists that their colonisation of Palestinian land is a felony which the world is no longer willing to overlook and condone.

Israel ought to pay heed to the world’s changing perceptions. Else, risk what Yoel Marcus foresees. Bibi will put Israel at the end of the line.

The author is the Opinion Editor of Times of Oman.

Mass Resignations At Al Jazeera Over “biased” Pro-Brotherhood Egyptian Coverage

Mass resignations at Al Jazeera over “biased” Egypt coverage

the commentator

 

Reports suggest that 22 member of staff have resigned from the Egyptian arm of Al Jazeera after complaining of pro-Muslim Brotherhood bias within the organisation

Al-jazeera-staff-in-their-007

 

Al Jazeera Mubasher Misr, the Egyptian arm of the Qatari-funded broadcaster has suffered major embarrassment today after 22 staff members walked out over accusations of bias.

The 22 staff resigned on Monday over what they alleged was coverage that was out of sync with real events in Egypt, according to a report by the Gulf News website.

Anchor Karem Mahmoud announced that the staff resigned in protest against “biased coverage” of the recent events in Egypt. He explained that there was a lack of commitment and Al Jazeera professionalism in media coverage, stating, “the management in Doha provokes sedition among the Egyptian people and has an agenda against Egypt and other Arab countries.”

Mahmoud added that the management used to instruct each staff member to favour the Muslim Brotherhood.

He said that “there are instructions to us to telecast certain news”.

In February of this year, Ghaffar Hussain, contributing editor to The Commentator wrote, “Since the Muslim Brotherhood has come to power in Egypt, Al Jazeera has done all in its power to portray the group in a favourable light. Protests against the Brotherhood-dominated regime are presented as being led by violent thugs with no political grievances, while Morsi’s poorly constructed and shallow speeches are given positive coverage.”

Haggag Salama, a correspondent of the network in Luxor, had resigned on Sunday accusing it of “airing lies and misleading viewers”. He announced his resignation in a phone-in interview with Dream 2 channel.

Meanwhile, four Egyptian members of editorial staff at Al Jazeera’s headquarters in Doha resigned in protest against what they termed a “biased editorial policy” pertaining to the events in Egypt, Ala’a Al Aioti, a news producer, told Gulf News by phone.

Original reporting by Ayman Sharif for Gulf News