ISIS Terrorists Arrested At Napoleon Hotel, Among Them, Pakistanis

[SEE: Leb. Security Forces Disrupt Bombing Plot, Arresting 15, One Hour Later, Security Chief Ibrahim Nearly Killed By Suicide-Bomber]

Police raid Beirut hotel in search for suspects, 17 arrested

daily star LEB

By Hashem Osseiran


Police arrest a man at Napoleon Hotel in Hamra, Friday, June 20, 2014. (The Daily Star/Mahmoud Kheir)

BEIRUT: Security forces Friday arrested at least 17 men after raiding a hotel in Beirut following a tip-off that terror suspects linked to a plot to kill Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri had sought refuge there, security sources told The Daily Star.

The sources said 200 police officers from the Internal Security Forces’ Information Branch and General Security blocked all roads leading to the Napoleon Hotel on Hamra Street around 10 a.m.

Shortly afterward, the security forces stormed the hotel, searching rooms for suspects possibly connected to an attack plot that led to the cancellation of a conference in Beirut planned for Berri’s Amal Movement.

The conference planned for 10 a.m. Friday was canceled for “security reasons” relating to Berri, who was to attend the meeting, said NBN TV, a mouthpiece for the Amal Movement.

A senior judicial source told The Daily Star that State Prosecutor Samir Hammoud issued an order to raid the Napoleon Hotel immediately after the ISF informed him about “the presence of terrorists there.”

The source said the suspects being pursued belong to Islamic State of Iraq and Greater Syria (ISIS) “which was preparing a big terrorist operation.”

He would not say whether the raid was linked to the cancellation of the Amal conference, but pointed to “the high risk” that has surrounded the meeting.

Two hours later, six police jeeps were still blocking the entrances to Napoleon hotel with about 20 police officers preventing passers-by and journalists from approaching the facility.

The security sources told The Daily Star that 12 suspects of differing nationalities had been arrested in the Napoleon hotel, with another five people arrested around the area. The detainees include Lebanese, Palestinian and Pakistani nationals.

Security sources and witnesses said a police force also stormed the nearby Casa D’or Hotel shortly before raiding Napoleon, arresting one suspect.

The Daily Star saw at least a dozen young-looking detainees, hands tied behind their backs, being shoved into police jeeps along with their luggage.

At least two guests were seen leaving the hotel around 12:30 p.m. They told The Daily Star that security forces had only now allowed them to exit.

They said the security forces had seized the passports of all the guests, ordering them to stay in their rooms. However, the police only searched suspected rooms, not all of them, they said.

A senior security source told The Daily Star that the security forces were “working on thwarting a big security plot.” The source would not elaborate.

Meanwhile, a high-ranking ministerial source told The Daily Star that the heightened security measures recently taken in Beirut’s southern suburbs and along the border as well as Friday’s reported threat against Berri were all tied to the violence in Iraq.

Security forces have also blocked several roads in and around the capital – including those leading to Berri’s residence in Ain al-Tineh, the Kuwaiti Embassy, UNESCO and the military hospital in Badaro – following the hotel raid and a car bombing attack about an hour later in east Lebanon.

The suicide attack that targeted a police checkpoint at the Dahr al-Baidar highway that links Beirut with Damascus left one person dead and 32 wounded.

Leb. Security Forces Disrupt Bombing Plot, Arresting 15, One Hour Later, Security Chief Ibrahim Nearly Killed By Suicide-Bomber

[SEE:  Lebanese Authorities Busy Interrogating Key To Entire Sunni Islamist Terrorist Suicide-Bomber Network; The Latest Confessions of ISIS/al-Nusra Agent, Naim AbbasAtrash Investigation–Two Saudi Suicide Bombers on the Loose ]


Security chief Maj. Gen. Abbas Ibrahim

Security chief escapes east Lebanon bombing

daily star LEB

Witnesses said it appeared that the vehicle was headed from Beirut toward the Bekaa Valley when it was stopped at the police checkpoint. (The Daily Star/Nidal Solh)

Witnesses said it appeared that the vehicle was headed from Beirut toward the Bekaa Valley when it was stopped at the police checkpoint. (The Daily Star/Nidal Solh)

BEIRUT: Security chief Maj. Gen. Abbas Ibrahim said he narrowly escaped a suicide bombing that killed two people and wounded 34 others at a Lebanese police checkpoint on the Beirut-Damascus highway Friday morning.

“The explosion in Dahr al-Baidar occurred moments after the convoy I was in passed through the checkpoint,” Ibrahim told a local television station.

Security sources told The Daily Star that the blast in the Bekaa Valley targeted an Internal Security Forces checkpoint in Dahr al-Baidar between Beirut and the eastern region.

The Interior Ministry said six security personnel were among the wounded in the explosion, which occurred around 11:30 a.m.

The sources said that most casualties were from a civilian van that was caught in the blast, while one of those killed was from the ISF.

According to reports, the bomb went off as police were searching the bomber’s vehicle. Witnesses said it appeared that the vehicle was headed from Beirut toward the Bekaa Valley when it was stopped at the police checkpoint.

The attack came an hour after the ISF Information Branch raided a hotel in Beirut looking for terror suspects, with a senior security source saying that police were “working on thwarting a big security plot.”

Earlier in the day, a conference for Speaker Nabih Berri’s Amal Movement was canceled over unspecified security threats and U.S. Ambassador to Lebanon David Hale called off his scheduled meeting with Foreign Affairs Minister Gebran Bassil for similar reasons.

Friday’s bombing shattered a nearly three-month calm after a Lebanese Army-led security plan curbed a series of bombings that hit the country over the past year.

ISF Arrests 15 Suspects in Beirut Planning for Terror Attacks

Al Manaralmanar

Lebanon: ISF

Intelligence Bureau of the Lebanese Internal Security Forces raided Napoleon Hotel on Friday in Makdessi Street in Beirut’s Hamra neighborhood in search of wanted suspects, state-run National News Agency reported.

The operation was carried out in light of information obtained by the Intelligence Bureau on the presence of terrorist sleeper agents at the hotel planning for possible terrorist acts on Lebanese territories.

ISF cordoned the area and arrested a terror group inside the hotel, media reports said.

It is estimated that about 20 suspects are being targeted in the ISF raid.

General Director of General Security Maj. Gen. Abbas Ibrahim refused to talk on Hamra raids to media outlets.

“There is a war against terrorist cells. Confrontation is continuous and we are ready for it,” he said.

However, he noted that more than a Lebanese figure is in the crosshairs of terrorist organizations as their sleeper cells return to act.

US Imperialist Wars of Aggression Have Created More Refugees Than Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan Combined

[The top two producers of refugees and displaced persons clearly indicate America’s responsibility for creating all of this outrage.  By my count, the US is responsible for all ten insurgencies listed below.  The list of top refugee-producers includes 6 out of the 7 (except Iran) Mideastern countries originally targeted by the CIA/Pentagon after “Enduring Freedom,” as revealed nearly a decade ago by Gen. Wesley Clark (Iraq, Syria, Iran, Lebanon, Libya, Somalia and Sudan).  His testimony alone should be enough to indict
American and European leaders for their premeditated aggression.
If Western leaders successfully continue to hide from their responsibility in creating this tragic humanitarian nightmare, then they will still be indicted in world opinion for being too stupid to follow, because of their pathological short-sightedness in failing to foresee the obvious results of their intended actions. 
Since America is responsible for making so many innocent people homeless, it is also responsible for providing humanitarian relief to all of these poor people, which includes the responsibility to rebuild that which we have destroyed in our aggression.]
refugee countries
© UNHCR
Major source of refugees, end 2013

World Refugee Day: Global forced displacement tops 50 million for first time in post-World War II era

UNHCR

© UNHCR 
global forced displacement
Global forced displacement 1993-2013 (end-year)

GENEVA, June 20 (UNHCR) The UN refugee agency reported today on World Refugee Day that the number of refugees, asylum-seekers and internally displaced people worldwide has, for the first time in the post-World War II era, exceeded 50 million people.

UNHCR’s annual Global Trends report, which is based on data compiled by governments and non-governmental partner organizations, and from the organization’s own records, shows 51.2 million people were forcibly displaced at the end of 2013, fully 6 million more than the 45.2 million reported in 2012.

This massive increase was driven mainly by the war in Syria, which at the end of last year had forced 2.5 million people into becoming refugees and made 6.5 million internally displaced. Major new displacement was also seen in Africa notably in Central African Republic and South Sudan.

“We are seeing here the immense costs of not ending wars, of failing to resolve or prevent conflict,” said UN High Commissioner for Refugees António Guterres. “Peace is today dangerously in deficit. Humanitarians can help as a palliative, but political solutions are vitally needed. Without this, the alarming levels of conflict and the mass suffering that is reflected in these figures will continue.”

The worldwide total of 51.2 million forcibly displaced represents a huge number of people in need of help, with implications both for foreign aid budgets in the world’s donor nations and the absorption and hosting capacities of countries on the front lines of refugee crises.

“The international community has to overcome its differences and find solutions to the conflicts of today in South Sudan, Syria, Central African Republic and elsewhere. Non-traditional donors need to step up alongside traditional donors. As many people are forcibly displaced today as the entire populations of medium-to-Iarge countries such as Colombia or Spain, South Africa or South Korea,” said Guterres.

Displacement data in the annual report covers refugees, asylum-seekers and the internally displaced. Among these, refugee numbers amounted to 16.7 million people worldwide, 11.7 million of whom are under UNHCR’s care and the remainder registered with the UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine. These totals alone are the highest UNHCR has seen since 2001. In addition, more than half of the refugees under UNHCR’s care (6.3 million) had at end 2013 been in exile for more than five years.

Overall, the biggest refugee populations under UNHCR care and by source country are Afghans, Syrians and Somalis together accounting for more than half of the global refugee total. Pakistan, Iran and Lebanon, meanwhile, hosted more refugees than other countries.

By region, Asia and the Pacific had the largest refugee population overall at 3.5 million people. Sub-Saharan Africa had 2.9 million people, while the Middle East and North Africa had 2.6 million.

In addition to refugees, 2013 saw 1.1 million people submitting applications for asylum, the majority of these in developed countries (Germany became the largest single recipient of new asylum claims). A record 25,300 asylum applications were from children who were separated from or unaccompanied by parents. Syrians lodged 64,300 claims, more than any other nationality, followed by asylum seekers from Democratic Republic of the Congo (60,400) and Myanmar (57,400).

Internal displacement people forced to flee to other parts of their country amounted to a record 33.3 million people, accounting for the largest increase of any group in the Global Trends report. For UNHCR and other humanitarian actors, helping these people represents a special challenge as many are in conflict zones.

Part of UNHCR’s work is finding long-term solutions for people who become forcibly displaced. Where possible this is through voluntary return, but other possibilities include local integration or resettlement in third countries. The year 2013 saw the fourth lowest level of refugee returns in almost a quarter century 414,600 people. Some 98,400 refugees were resettled in 21 countries. Full worldwide data on local integration and returns of internally displaced people (IDP) was not available although 1.4 million of them returned home in countries where UNHCR is operational with IDPs.

The worldwide population of stateless people is not included in the figure of 51.2 million forcibly displaced people (since being stateless doesn’t necessarily correlate to being displaced). Statelessness remains hard to quantify with precision, but for 2013, UNHCR’s offices worldwide reported a figure of almost 3.5 million stateless people. This is about a third of the number of people estimated to be stateless globally.

Read the Global Trends 2013 report

Saudi Arabia Is ISIS’s Sponsor…Why Is It “Offensive” To Admit This?

QUESTION: Prime Minister Maliki was clear today in holding Saudi Arabia responsible for supporting ISIL financially and morally. What do you think about this?

 

MS. PSAKI: It’s inaccurate and, frankly, offensive.”
http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/dpb/2014/06/227708.htm#IRAQ

 

If it is the official US GOV position that charging Saudi Arabia with supporting the ISIL/ISIS terrorists is “OFFENSIVE,” then it is only done to avoid self-incrimination.  The whole world knows that whatever the Saudis or other Gulf royals do in Syria, it is done on the orders of the USGOV.  If USGOV can order the hiring and firing of the Saudi chief of intelligence (Bandar), then it also controls the Saudi Iraqi policies, meaning that the Saudi Islamic Army which is currently running amok in Iraq is doing Obama’s will.  The CIA has run this “intelligence-driven” conflict since the start.  Taking advantage of the blundering image of George Bush, the USGOV established its official cover story for the CIA’s well-planned global war of aggression, hiding this truly evil revelation behind the excuse that we are in our quagmire because of our perceived ineptitude.  Our war plans have all gone awry because of this “comedy of errors.”—TOTAL LIE

We are where we are in the terror war because we have followed the CIA plan for global domination through selective national destabilization operations.  For USGOV to admit this or to allow another govt to admit this truth, or anything which suggests this, would be an admission that all of the “Islamist” terrorists who have been destabilizing the world have been ours.  If it is the official position of the IRAQIGOV that Saudi Arabia is sponsoring a well-trained army of terrorists, who are attempting to overthrow the IRAQIGOV, then USGOV must refute the state charges, or else prepare to help the Saudis defend their actions in Iraq before the UN Security Council.

ISIS/ISIL has always been associated with various intelligence agencies.  Under Bandar’s plan for Syria, ISIS was given the best training and equipment in Syria.  Upon Bandar’s forced retirement, ISIS and all of its shiny new equipment were transferred to Fallujah.  More money, men and equipment have continued to flow to these Sunni terrorists as they waged war against the Shia govt of Iraq.  Much of ISIS’s equipment was previously transferred to them in Syria from Libya, even from as far away as Bosnia.  All of this shuffling of men and equipment across Europe, across the Mediterranean, across the Middle East, even from the tumultuous conflicts in Russia, all of this, could not have happened without US logistical support.

NO, MS. PSAKI, it is neither inaccurate nor offensive to embrace the idea that Saudi machinery drives the terrorist armies of the world.  Eliminating this machinery of evil is the only action which will stabilize the world now that the CIA has worked so meticulously to destabilize all nations.  The Saudi royal family should be either be sent to Guantanamo or placed at the top of Washington’s drone
“hit list.”

…no other terrorists really matter.

 

peter.chamberlin@hotmail.com