Southern Damascus Sees Negotiated Exit of Thousands of Terrorist Scum

[Deal to evacuate Syrian Islamist fighters is halted – Hezbollah TV

Reuters

 

BEIRUT, Dec 26 (Reuters) – A U.N.-sponsored deal to give safe passage to more than 2,000 Islamic State fighters and other hardline insurgents holed up in rebel-held south Damascus neighbourhoods has been suspended, Lebanese Hezbollah’s TV station said on Saturday.

It said the deal fell through after a top rebel commander, Zahran Alloush, was killed in an air strike on Friday. The convoy carrying the fighters had been due to pass through territory he controlled en route to their ultimate destination of Raqqa, the de facto capital of Islamic State in northern Syria.

The TV report said coaches that had arrived on Friday to pick up the fighters and at least 1,500 family members had turned back. (Reporting by Suleiman Al-Khalidi; Editing by Mark Trevelyan)]

 

[Buses to ship out 2,000 besieged Syrian Islamist fighters – Hezbollah TV]

Syria conflict: Rebels ‘to leave Yarmouk refugee camp’

BBC

A UN-brokered deal could see thousands of Syrian rebels and their families leave areas in and around the Yarmouk Palestinian refugee camp in Damascus.

The deal, which is still at a delicate stage, involves agreement between rebel fighters and the government.

It could see a number of militants from Islamic State (IS) given safe passage to their stronghold of Raqqa.

The aim is to make Yarmouk safe again so that the 18,000 people believed to be trapped there can receive aid.

In April, IS militants infiltrated the camp and briefly seized large parts of it.

Yarmouk is divided into areas controlled by IS, the rival al-Qaeda-linked al-Nusra Front and pro- and anti-government Palestinian militants.

Government forces maintain checkpoints around the area preventing civilians from leaving.

The proposed deal could see fighters begin to withdraw from Yarmouk, and the neighbouring districts of Hajar al-Aswad and al-Qadam, as soon as Friday.

It is not clear exactly which groups are involved, but the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported that wounded IS militants and members of their families would be among those leaving.


Earlier this year, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon described Yarmouk as the “deepest circle of Hell”. So the deal, if it goes through, should benefit all those involved.

Once Yarmouk is made safe the UN will be able to get aid to the refugees freely; the Syrian government will have a latent threat removed from its doorstep; the wounded and exhausted rebels will be able to fight another day; and the IS fighters will have safe passage to Raqqa.

Similar deals have been made elsewhere in Syria when it has been in all the combatants’ interest. It is a model the UN has hoped to build on. As peace efforts resume in the New Year, it could provide one small bright spot in the surrounding darkness.


The UK-based monitoring group, which uses a network of sources on the ground, said a number of buses had already arrived in al-Qadam to take them to IS-held territory elsewhere in Syria.

Earlier this month, pro-government media reported a deal between the government, IS and the rival jihadist group al-Nusra Front to allow members of both safe passage out of Yarmouk and Hajar al-Aswad to Raqqa and the northern province of Idlib under a UN guarantee.

The city of Raqqa is the de facto capital of the caliphate whose creation IS proclaimed last year, while Idlib is largely controlled by a rebel alliance that includes al-Nusra Front, al-Qaeda’s affiliate in Syria.

Yarmouk was first built for Palestinians fleeing the 1948 Arab-Israeli war. Before the Syrian civil war began in 2011, it had more than 150,000 refugees living there.

Those trapped in the camp for the past two years, including 3,500 children, have no access to regular food supplies, clean water or healthcare.

One thought on “Southern Damascus Sees Negotiated Exit of Thousands of Terrorist Scum

  1. “Syrian Observatory for Human Rights”…you know that org is one dude who is fed Israel/US State dept bullshit to post so some how it looks legitimate that someone with the title “human rights” posted it so it must be true?

    C’mon I can’t believe you wasted my time (about 5 seconds) until I got to the part of “Syrian Observatory for Human Rights”…

    Who ever runs this blog needs to get up to date with what is actually happening.–[Sorry to put a burr under your saddle, Friend, but I know all about Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, what they are and what they represent. But I also know that anything reported in the Brit press carries Syrian Observatory stigma, the same goes for any Western press. When I posted the article the photo map of Yarmouk refugee area didn’t make it. My purpose for the post was that it seemed to be confirmed by Hezbollah press almanar. We have to expect such Damascus disengagement reports to surface as Russia and the UN work-out details of whatever they have in store for us. If you abandon NoSunglasses as a result of this post, it’s been nice knowing you.–Editor]

    won’t be coming here any more

Comments are closed.