Ministry of Interior spokesman Sediq Sediqqi has confirmed at least seven policemen were killed in an attack on the Pakistani Consulate in Jalalabad, Nangarhar province early Wednesday.
In addition, seven other policemen were injured. However, local security sources said civilians were also injured, including a consulate staff member.
The siege ended after almost four hours.
The source said that the attack took place at about 9:00am local time in PD 3 in Jalalabad after a suicide bomber detonated his explosives near the Pakistan Consulate. At least two other attackers were also involved.
However, officials stated during the siege that the consulate was under attack and that insurgents had entered the building. But once the siege was over, security officials said the consulate had not been stormed and that attackers had fired on the mission from a building next door.
But the consul general Farmanullah Khan Yousafzai told TOLOnews that the mission had been under direct attack.
Daesh on Wednesday afternoon claimed responsibility for the attack.
A blast occurred outside a Pakistan guest house in Jalalabad, Nangarhar Tuesday morning.