Vladimir Putin has finally taken the kid gloves off.
The Russian president was meeting with foreign journalists at the conclusion of the Saint Petersburg International Economic Forum on June 17th, when he left no one in any doubt that the world is headed down a course which could lead to nuclear war.
Putin railed against the journalists for their “tall tales” in blindly repeating lies and misinformation provided to them by the United States on its anti-ballistic missile systems being constructed in Eastern Europe. He pointed out that since the Iran nuclear deal, the claim the system is to protect against Iranian missiles has been exposed as a lie.
The journalists were informed that within a few years, Russia predicted the US would be able to extend the range of the system to 1000 km. At that point, Russia’s nuclear potential, and thus the nuclear balance between the US and Russia, would be placed in jeopardy.
Putin completely lost patience with the journalists, berating them for lazily helping to accelerate a nuclear confrontation by repeating US propaganda. He virtually pleaded with the western media, for the sake of the world, to change their line:
We know year by year what’s going to happen, and they know that we know. It’s only you that they tell tall tales to, and you buy it, and spread it to the citizens of your countries. You people in turn do not feel a sense of the impending danger – this is what worries me. How do you not understand that the world is being pulled in an irreversible direction? While they pretend that nothing is going on. I don’t know how to get through to you anymore.
Does anyone in the reeking garbage heap that is mainstream western media have a conscience? Do they even have enough intellect to get what Putin is saying – that they are helping to push the planet towards World War III?
Dallas police chief David Brown and US Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson also said the gunman appeared to have acted alone, although Texas Governor Greg Abbott said police would “continue down every rabbit trail… ensuring that we eliminate any other possible suspects or co-conspirators”.
Officials on Friday had spoken of a co-ordinated attack by at least one sniper.
Three other suspects were arrested after the shootings but no details have been released about them.
A number of gun attacks on police officers and civilians have occurred in other parts of the US in the aftermath of the deaths in Minnesota and Louisiana.
In Tennessee, a black army veteran killed a woman and also injured three other people, including a police officer, as he opened fire on a motorway on Thursday morning, before the Dallas attacks. After his arrest, Lakeem Keon Scott told investigators he was troubled by police violence against African-Americans
In Missouri on Friday, a police officer was shot from behind after he walked back to his patrol car to check the driving status of a black man who he had stopped. Antonio Taylor, 31, was later arrested but the motive for the shooting is unknown
In Georgia on Friday, an officer was shot after he responded to a call from a man who said his car had been broken into. Again the motive is unknown
In the Georgian state capital, Atlanta, on Friday evening, thousands marched in protest at the recent police shootings but although roads were blocked off the demonstration remained peaceful.
Protests against police killings were also held in other cities including Houston, New Orleans and San Francisco. In Baton Rouge, Louisiana, protesters chanted “no justice, no peace, no racist police”.
There have been some arrests at the rallies, but again they were peaceful.
Leaders of the Black Lives Matter organisation have condemned the Dallas killings but say planned marches, including a “Weekend of Rage” in Philadelphia, will go ahead.
In Dallas, Mayor Rawlings addressed thousands at a vigil to honour the police officers, urging Americans to “step up” to heal the nation’s racial wounds.
‘Wanted to kill whites’
Police in Dallas said the bomb-making material was found when they searched the home in the suburb of Mesquite where Micah Johnson lived with his mother.
Johnson was killed by remotely detonated explosives that were sent into a car park where he had taken refuge after the shootings.
Mr Rawlings said the suspect had been given a choice of “surrendering without harm or remaining in place”, adding that he chose “the latter”.
Johnson, a member of the US Army Reserve from 2009 to 2015 who had served in Afghanistan, had no criminal history.
But it has emerged that he was accused by a female soldier of sexual harassment in Afghanistan and was sent home. A lawyer said Johnson was to be removed from the army in September 2014 but was instead given an honourable discharge in May 2015.
Chief Brown said the suspect had told a negotiator that he had wanted to kill white people, especially white police officers, because he was angry about the recent shootings of black men by police.
President Barack Obama, who is attending a Nato summit in Poland, called the Dallas killings a “vicious, calculated and despicable attack on law enforcement”.
He ordered all flags on public buildings to be flown at half-mast.
Mr Obama will visit Dallas early next week, cutting short the Spanish part of his European trip, the White House said.
The Dallas attack marks the deadliest day for US law enforcement officers since the 9/11 attacks in 2001.
Reacting to the latest shootings, presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton said: “There is too much violence, too much hate, too much senseless killing, too many people dead who shouldn’t be. No-one has all the answers. We have to find them together.”
Meanwhile, her Republican opponent Donald Trump said in a video the shooting in Dallas “has shaken the soul of our nation”.
He added: “The deaths of Alton Sterling in Louisiana and Philando Castille in Minnesota also make clear how much more work we have to do to make every American feel that their safety is protected.”
Philando Castile was shot dead after being stopped in his car by police in St Paul, Minnesota, on Wednesday. Alton Sterling was killed by police a day earlier in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
Both incidents were captured on video, reigniting what has become a national debate.
QUETTA – Security forces killed three militants at the start of a crackdown on sectarian militant group in Balochistan, officials said on Thursday, following a spate of attacks targeting security forces.
The extremist Lashkar-e-Jhangvi (LeJ), whose roots are in Punjab, claimed responsibility for gunning down four policemen on Tuesday and four soldiers of the paramilitary Frontier Corps in Quetta on Wednesday.
A spokesman for the paramilitary Frontier Corps said the government had decided to launch an armed operation against LeJ at a late-night meeting on Wednesday.
“Three terrorists belonging to LeJ have been killed in an armed clash with Frontier Corps and intelligence personnel,” said Khan Wasey, the spokesman for the paramilitary force.
He said the killings took place during a search operation in the early hours of Thursday.
Last year, police killed the leader of the LeJ, Malik Ishaq, signalling a shift in the government’s strategy for dealing with the group.
Balochistan Chief Minister Sananullah Zehri condemned the killing of the policemen and soldiers and said “strict actions would be launched against terrorists and their supporters”.
Nawab Zehri directed the chief secretary to install 1,400 CCTV cameras in Quetta. He also asked to install scanners at all entry and exit points of the city.
The chief minister also issued directions to accelerate the pace of work on the Quetta Safe City Project in order to combat terrorism.
In further action, the law-enforcement agencies personnel arrested 150 suspects and confiscated 60 motorcycles during operations in different areas of the provincial capital Quetta.
Deputy Inspector General (DIG) Manzoor Sarwar said that police and FC personnel conducted joint search operations and snap-checking of vehicles at Sariab Road, Satellite Town, Kechi Baig areas of Quetta.
He said that during search operations and snap-checking, the LEAs personnel arrested 150 suspects and confiscated 60 motorcycles.
The nabbed suspects were being interrogated at respective police stations after registering cases against them, he added.
Meanwhile, a police official was injured by unidentified men in Quetta’s Killi Baro area.
The police said that the Head Moharrar of Police Station Kechi Baig came under attack in Killi Baro area lying within jurisdiction of PS New Sariab when he was on his way.
As a result of firing, the police official was injured, they said, adding that the assailants managed to escape from the scene. The injured was rushed to hospital for medical treatment. According to doctors, the injured was in serious condition.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility as the officials said that they would not comment on who might be behind the killing.
The law-enforcement agencies have cordoned off the entire area to trace the suspects. Further probe was underway.
FOUR ROCKETS FIRED AT KALAT SECURITY CHECKPOST
Four rockets were fired on Thursday at a security checkpost in Kalat. The rockets were fired by unknown men, Levies sources confirmed.
No casualties were reported.
After the attack, Levies and FC launched a search operation against the culprits but no arrests could be made.
TRIBAL LEADER INJURED IN BLAST
A tribal leader was injured when a roadside bomb exploded near his car in Kohlu district of Balochistan on Thursday.
According to a private news channel, Gehram Mari survived the bomb attack with minor injuries, rescue sources said.
Balochistan is the country’s poorest and least developed province and has suffered a long-running violence.
Pakistan and China are developing multi-billion-dollar energy and infrastructure projects in the sparsely populated region as part of a plan to create a corridor stretching from the Arabian Sea to China’s Xinjiang region.