French and USAF Reap Extreme Bombing Tolls On Manbij, Syria—Hundreds of Civilians Dead

 French Air Force avenges Nice massacre, kills 100+ civilians (Pictures)

 

Not a week after the horrendous attack that occurred in the French city of Nice, the French Air Force, a member of the anti-ISIS coalition, escalated its bombing of ISIS-held territory.

The retaliatory bombing campaign resulted in a high civilian casualty count in the densely populated Manbij. Lower estimates put the civilian victim numbers at a 100+ while higher estimates provided by local sources put the number at 300, most of whom were women and children.

While civilian losses are not foreign to urban wars, the French Air Force is not foreign to attacks seemingly vengeful in nature. Following the horrific ISIS-claimed attacks in Paris, the French Air Force bombed a school in Iraq’s Nineveh massacring 36 children, local sources said.

On a separate note, the French Foreign Minister recently expressed worries about the Syrian Army sieging the civilian population of east Aleppo where a jihadist faction under the umbrella of the western-backed Free Syrian Army gruesomely beheaded a child today, accusing him of collaborating with the Syrian government.

Below are pictures of the horrific scene in Manbij:

manbij tasrok 8manbij tasrok 7manbij tasrok 6Manbij tasrok 5Manbij tasrok 4Manbij tasrokmanbij tasrok 1

Death Toll From US Manbij Bombing Likely to Be ‘Far’ Higher Than Admitted

sputnik

© REUTERS/ Rodi Said

The civilian death toll from the US bombing of the towns of Toukhan Al-Kubra and Manbij in Syria’s Aleppo this week is likely to be far higher than the 140 reported fatalities, US analysts told Sputnik.

WASHINGTON (Sputnik), Martin Sieff – The National Coalition of Syrian Revolution and Opposition Forces said in a statement on Wednesday it had called on the US-led international coalition against the Daesh to immediately suspend airstrikes in Syria in the wake of the attacks.

“My opinion is that the number of civilian casualties is far more than the US is willing to state if the recent announcement of US drone casualties is any indicator, advocacy group KnowDrones.com Coordinator Nick Mottern stated on Thursday.

Mottern noted that the attacks with their high civilian death tolls, including children, occurred after it had been announced that the US armed forces were relaxing their attack guidelines and that this might mean more civilian casualties.

According to some reports, US aircraft misidentified fleeing civilian families for Daesh forces and attacked them.

“The bombing that resulted in these deaths is done in support of forces seeking to drive Daesh out of Manbij,” Ohio State University Professor Emeritus of International Law Professor John Quigley acknowledged.

Although the total number of people killed in the attacks had yet to be conclusively established, it was already clear that there had been a been a substantial death toll in the two towns, Quigley pointed out.

In this undated file image posted on Monday, June 30, 2014, by the Raqqa Media Center of the Islamic State group, a Syrian opposition group, which has been verified and is consistent with other AP reporting, fighters from the Islamic State group parade in Raqqa, north Syria
© AP Photo/ Raqqa Media Center of the Islamic State group, File  Anti-Daesh Coalition Backs Creation Committee to Probe Crimes Against Civilians

“Extreme care must be taken under humanitarian law in such situations” by air forces tasked with such operations, he cautioned.

To date the United States has said only that it is investigating whether civilians were killing in the bombing. All participants in the hostilities in Syria must assess in advance of bombing what civilians may be affected and must desist from bombing where civilian casualties are likely.

Photographs taken in Toukhan Al-Kubra after the air strike revealed the dead bodies of children, no more than three years old, lying under rubble.

The US Department of Defense will investigate recent reports that US-led coalition airstrikes killed civilians near the Syrian city of Manbij, Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter said during a press briefing on Wednesday.

One thought on “French and USAF Reap Extreme Bombing Tolls On Manbij, Syria—Hundreds of Civilians Dead

Comments are closed.