Officials have confirmed that more than 30 people were killed in two separate explosions outside the Ministry of Defense in Kabul on Monday afternoon.
The first explosion took place shortly after 2.30pm and was followed by a second explosion which appeared to have targeted the first responders to the scene.
Ministry of Interior spokesman Sediq Sediqqi confirmed that more than 30 people were killed and over 40 injured.
Among the dead are Sayed Zaman, the police chief for PD2, and Razaq, the deputy chief of support for the Afghan National Army’s (ANA) Regiment Unit. Also killed were Zaman’s deputy and the head of the intelligence unit for PD2.
A number of other senior police officials are also among the dead.
According to security officials the first bomb was detonated remotely while the second had been a suicide bomber.
Officials also said the suicide bomber had been wearing an ANA uniform.
Reporting from the scene, TOLOnews Wali Arian said that security officials had cordoned off the area and were only letting security personnel and ambulance in.
Meanwhile President Ashraf condemned the incident and said that Afghanistan’s enemies have once again shown that they are against progress in the country.
“Terrorist groups are trying to reach their nefarious aims by conducting terror attacks in the country,” he said.
Afghanistan’s enemies have lost the capability of facing security forces on the battlefield and therefore attack highways, cities, mosques, schools and other public places.”
Ghani also extended his condolences to the families of the victims and wished all those wounded a speedy recovery.
The Taliban has claimed responsibility for the attack.