Terrorists Storm Quetta Police Academy, Heavy Casualties, Hostages

quetta-police-acadThe Quetta police training centre has been attacked Credit: Twitter  

29 security personnel martyred, three terrorists killed in attack on police training centre in Quetta



QUETTA: At least 29 security personnel have been martyred after terrorist stormed the Police Training College located on Sariab road here on Monday.

Talking to the media Home Minister Sarfraz Bugti while confirming the death toll feared that it may climb up in next few hours.

He said that the affected compound have been cleared by security forces who fought valiantly against the terrorists.

Bugti said that 700 police recruits were present at the time of the attack.

At least 106 people including police recruits and several Frontier Corps (FC) personnel have also been injured in the terrorist attack.

According to sources, three terrorists have been killed and 250 police recruits freed after the attack.

Unknown assailants stormed the hostel of the police training centre and opened fire on recruits. There were reports of sporadic gunfire by the assailants.

According to Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), five to six terrorists had stormed the police training centre.

Those injured in the attack have been brought to the Civil Hospital Quetta and CMH, hospital sources said. They included recruits, who attempted to flee the centre as terrorists waged the attack. Eight of the wounded were said to be in critical condition.

Earlier, Chief Minister Balochistan Sanaullah Zehri said terrorists had attacked the training centre located in the suburbs of Quetta. He said there were prior intelligence reports of an attack and security was put on high alert.”I am myself monitoring the situation. Our forces have entered into the centre and soon these terrorists will be eliminated,” Zehri said.

Due to high security across the provincial capital, these terrorists opted for the police college in a suburban area, he added.

A recruit who witnessed the entire situation said nearly four militants barged into the training centre around 9:30 PM and opened indiscriminate fire. “Then, they entered into the barracks,” he said.

A loud explosion also occurred in the vicinity that echoed to far-flung areas, our correspondent said, resulting in panic for a brief period. Sources said the attackers also lobbed three crackers which resulted in a fire breaking out inside the centre.

Heavy contingents of police and Frontier Corps reached the spot and surrounded the vicinity. Pakistan Army, FC troops, as well as police commandos, have entered into the hostel, where the operation continues.

Meanwhile, an emergency has been imposed in the hospitals across the provincial capital.

—This is a developing story and will be updated as further details are available.